Friday, April 4, 2008

Death

DEATH- according to http://www.dictionary.com/
–noun
1.
the act of dying; the end of life; the total and permanent cessation of all the vital functions of an organism. Compare brain death.
2.
an instance of this: a death in the family; letters published after his death.
3.
the state of being dead: to lie still in death.
4.
extinction; destruction: It will mean the death of our hopes.
5.
manner of dying: a hero's death.
6.
(usually initial capital letter) the agent of death personified, usually represented as a man or a skeleton carrying a scythe. Compare Grim Reaper.
7.
Also called spiritual death. loss or absence of spiritual life.
8.
Christian Science. the false belief that life comes to an end.
9.
bloodshed or murder: Hitler was responsible for the death of millions.
10.
a cause or occasion of death: You'll be the death of me yet!
11.
Archaic. pestilence; plague. Compare Black Death. —Idioms
12.
at death's door, in serious danger of death; gravely ill: Two survivors of the crash are still at death's door.
13.
be death on, Informal.
a.
to be excessively strict about: That publisher is death on sloppily typed manuscripts.
b.
to be snobbish about or toward.
c.
to be able to cope with easily and successfully: The third baseman is death on pop flies.
14.
do to death,
a.
to kill, esp. to murder.
b.
to repeat too often, to the point of becoming monotonous and boring: That theme has been done to death.
15.
in at the death,
a.
Fox Hunting. present at the kill.
b.
present at the climax or conclusion of a situation.
16.
put to death, to kill; execute.
17.
to death, to an extreme degree; thoroughly: sick to death of the heat.
[Origin: bef. 900; ME deeth, OE déath; c. G Tod, Goth dauthus; akin to ON deyja to die1; see -th]
—Synonyms 1. decease, demise, passing, departure.
—Antonyms 1. birth, life.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.


***This word seems to be looming over me lately. I have a friend who is in Hospice and we aren't sure when she will pass on - she is 36 yrs old and has 2 young children.

My Spiritual Mentor died two weeks ago.

5 yrs ago my sister died.

A yr ago my dad died.

I listen to the radio KLOVE (Christian music) and they are currently playing 2 songs which deal with death or what happens after death.

My laptop "dies" regularly- and the battery does not stay charged very long. The plug is damaged somehow- but still it "dies!"

I was watching "Family Guy" and they had 2 episodes with "Death" in it.


I was cleaning the bathrooms at work and listening to my puny mp3 player and it died.

My blackberry died last week- had to switch it out.


What next?
I'm really feelin' it- It is bringing me down. I don't want to deal with it at all. I wish death was not an option. I wish we all died on the same day- so no one missed another person.
I think the weather here in KS is not helping my "death mode" either.
I have decided (per Nathan's request) that later today we are going to go shopping for bright flowers to plant in our front yard! Nathan wants purple one. He tried to tell me I liked "black" flowers. (another reference to death?)
I just don't know how to handle all this... I don't want to hear or see that word! I want to see LIFE!! I want to live- I want my friends to live too!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Yellow is always a happy color that makes me smile. Maybe you need some yellow flowers? Have fun planting and enjoy the life in the flowers, the life in the rich earth, and most of all, the life in your wonderful son.