Saturday, March 15, 2008

Life- what is it really?

I was sitting here at home today- watching "Dan in Real Life" and having a pretty decent day. I noticed my blackberry light changed from green to red. I looked at my caller list and my Mom had called. I checked my voice mail and heard that my mentor- in the church Joan Strom-Millard had passed away yesterday. I was crushed- so was my mom.

Joan and I shared several spiritual highs while I was at Mission Road. I really counted on her a lot and I became a sounding board for her and she the same for me. She was my boss while I was there, but her spirit, her own self- never treated me as a subordinate EVER! At my recent job interview with Sorenson- I mentioned her a lot. She had been on my mind all week and Thursday I was thinking I needed to get her address and send her a card. I never did. I guess it wouldn't have gotten to her in time anyway. Joan was the one that called me to my role as Elder in the church, she ordained me. She and I had great spiritual talks and when she came to me and told me about her diagnosis of breast cancer I was hurting with her. She was determined to beat it, but as time went on the cancer spread. I got married- I left Mission Road and occasionally I would check in with her- but not as much as I should have. I sent Christmas letters and she did the same. I lost her address this year- and so I did not send her one. I thought I will get it when she sends hers out to me. I never received one.

I am giving a sermon at Bonner Springs tomorrow morning- it is Palm Sunday. It really is a somber day. It is the day that Jesus goes to Jerusalem to be betrayed, arrested, hung and die. I am reminded of my dad's death once again. I am reminded of my sister's death- my best friend's daughter death at 19 months... my sister and my friend's baby died 5 years ago THIS MONTH! I hate feeling so somber, so down. It doesn't help that we hardly see the sun here in Kansas right now because of this stinkin' weather. I was really looking forward to going to Iowa tomorrow. Now I have to wait until Monday- after Joan's funeral.

Today is Bud's birthday- he begged me all week to go to On the Border- I HATE ON THE BORDER!!! I think it is too spicy- desserts are great- but main dishes are not my kind of tastes. I also thought our meal would cost well over $40.00 there and with gas prices and buying books for my exam prep I am getting tapped out... Anyway- we had a fight- we ended up at On the Border. I swallowed my tacos- they do taste better with ranch dressing on them! I got the staff to sing to Bud too.

Yesterday we (Nathan, Paula and Riley and Taylor) all crashed the men's breakfast at IHOP and we brought balloons and gift bags and carrot cake to him. I called him up later and we went to lunch at a smokey bar and grill since Nathan was at school. I hope he feels like he had a good birthday. I just can't help but be sad right now.
That is Joan ordaining me (the one on the right)
That's all for now.

-SBL

No comments: